Filing a Lawsuit by a Member
Lawsuits Against a Care Provider
We do not automatically move the member to another medical group/IPA because of a lawsuit.
We consider a transfer if:
- The complaint is about problems with quality of care or inappropriate behavior AND the care provider requests removal from their care.
- The transfer would not affect the member’s current treatment.
- The treating care provider must confirm this.
- The treating care provider must cooperate in the transfer of medical records and information to the new care provider.
- The member wants another care provider who is part of the same medical group/IPA but located in a different office.
Lawsuits Against a Medical Group/IPA
We do not deny the member access to care providers within a medical group/IPA because of a lawsuit. We consider a transfer if the member’s complaint is about problems with the general practices and procedures of the medical group/IPA.
Note: If you receive notification of a member’s plan to sue, please notify your provider advocate.