Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) - Chapter 7, 2022 UnitedHealthcare Administrative Guide

Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) combines behavioral therapy and medications to treat opioid use disorders (OUD). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved medications for OUD including Buprenorphine, Methadone, and Naltrexone.

To prescribe Buprenorphine, you must complete the waiver through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and obtain a unique identification number from the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

As a medical health care provider, you may provide MAT services even if you don’t offer counseling or behavioral health therapy in-house. However, you must refer your patients to a qualified health care provider for those services. If you need help finding a behavioral health provider, call the number on the member’s ID card or search for a behavioral health professional on

To find a medical MAT provider in a state:

  1. Go to
  2. Select “Find Dr.” in the top right corner of the home page.
  3. Select “Search for Care Providers in the General UnitedHealthcare Plan Directory.”
  4. Click on “Medical Directory.”
  5. Choose a type of plan.
  6. Select applicable plan.
  7. Refine the search by typing “Medication Assisted Treatment” in the search bar.

For more SAMHSA waiver Information:

If you have questions about MAT, call Provider Services at 1-877-842-3210, enter your TIN, then say “Representative’” then “Representative” a second time, then “Something Else” to speak to a representative.