Medicare Supplement Benefit Plans
AARP Medicare Select Benefit Plans
This Medicare Supplement product is available only to AARP members who reside within the service area of a participating hospital in our Medicare Select network.
What is Medicare Select?
Medicare was not designed to cover all health care expenses incurred by older adults.
- Medicare Supplement plans cover many of the out-of-pocket costs that Original Medicare (Part A and B) does not cover, which can provide consumers with a greater sense of security.
- Medicare Select plans offer consumers the benefits of a standard Medicare Supplement plan at a lower price. Unlike a standard Medicare Supplement plan, Medicare Select requires members to use a Medicare Select network hospital to receive their full benefits.
Members must use a Medicare Select network hospital for inpatient services. They can seek services from the Medicare Select network physician of their choice and retain full Medicare benefits.
Network hospitals agree to waive the Part A Inpatient Hospital Deductible ($1,364 in 2019). While a network hospital waives the Part A Deductible, the hospital still receives the remaining reimbursement from Medicare. UnitedHealthcare reimburses all other Medicare-eligible expenses not paid by Medicare other than the Part A deductible amounts waived under the terms of the hospital Agreement. Hospitals can arrange for automatic deposits or reimbursements.
UnitedHealthcare uses these savings to offer a Medicare Supplement plan with a lower premium. If an insured member receives inpatient services outside of the Medicare Select network, the member is responsible for the Part A deductible, unless:
- The services were emergency related
- The service was not available from a participating hospital
- The member was more than 100 miles from home
**No prior authorization for medical services is required.
Medicare Select Plans C & F
These Medicare plans reduce member expenses by covering some or all of the following:
- Part A inpatient hospital deductible
- Part A inpatient hospital coinsurance for days 61-90 in a Medicare benefit period
- Part A inpatient hospital coinsurance for days where lifetime reserve days are used
- Part A eligible expenses for a lifetime maximum of 365 days after all Medicare Part A benefits are exhausted
- Part B coinsurance
- Part B deductible (Select Plans C and F only)
- Daily coinsurance for days 21-100 for Skilled Nursing Facility stays
- Part A and B blood deductible for the first three pints of un-replaced blood
- Foreign travel emergencies
- Hospice and respite care copayments and coinsurance
- Part B excess charges for Medicare approved services (Select Plans F and G only)
Claims Submission Information
To submit a claim electronically, please contact your Clearinghouse and provide our Electronic Payer ID (36273). This number is specific to AARP Supplemental and Personal Health Plans.
To submit a Part A or Part B claim via mail, send a standard billing form along with a Part A or B Remittance Advice to:
UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company
P.O. Box 740819
Atlanta, GA 30374-0819
To promote timely processing on all claim submissions, follow standardized Medicare billing practices. Be sure to include the member’s 11-digit AARP membership number.