Electronic Payments and Statements (EPS)
Optum EPS is a free electronic funds transfer (EFT) and electronic remittance advice (ERA) service brought to you by UnitedHealthcare. It is the standard method for receiving payments and explanation of benefits (EOBs)/remittance advice from us.
EPS delivers electronic payments and provides online remittance advice and 835 files to health care providers, hospitals or facilities.
If you use a billing service company, EPS created a new portal, just for third party billing service companies. The billing service first needs to enroll for EPS access at: Optum.com/enroll.
After your billing service enrolls, they are able to set up users on their EPS account and then associate their EPS account with your practice. This enables them to access the claim payment information needed to post and close claims.
You may make electronic payments by direct deposit or EFT into an organization’s bank account or by Virtual Card Payment (VCP). With VCP, you do not need your bank account information as you process payments like a credit card transaction. To receive capitation payments by EFT, we require a signed EFT Payments form, detailing the bank account and bank routing information. The EFT initial set-up, or a change in banking information, requires three weeks processing time to take effect.
EPS with Direct Deposit: No Credit Card Processing Fees
- When adding funds to your account, we will not debit or deduct claim adjustments from your checking or savings account.
- You may also contact your bank to help ensure you have certain controls over the electronic funds transfers to and from your account.
Posting and Balancing With EPS with Direct Deposit:
- Receive email notifications when we deposit payments to your bank account(s).
- Log into EPS and view, save, or print remittance advice to post payments manually to your practice management system. You also can auto-post using the free electronic remittance advice 835/ERA.
Enroll with your clearinghouse to receive the 835 file from them.
EPS with Virtual Card Payments:
Process VCPs using the same method your organization uses to process credit card payments. Your current credit card processing fees apply. You can confirm those rates with the merchant processor directly.
- This process does not require you share your banking information with us.
Posting and Balancing with VCP:
- We send you one or more virtual card numbers (each payer ID has a card number) in the mail. Store in a secure location for future payments.
- We send email notifications of new claim payments.
- Log on to EPS and view, save or print remittance advice to post payments manually to your practice management system. You can auto-post using the free electronic remittance advice 835/ERA.
Enroll and Learn More about EPS
To learn more about EPS and to receive electronic funds transfers, visit optum.com/enroll. If you have questions about EPS, direct deposit, VCPs or enrollment, call us at 877-620-6194, to speak with an EPS representative.