Using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) for all eligible UnitedHealthcare transactions can help your organization improve efficiency, reduce costs and increase cash flow. We encourage you to use the following tools and resources to help you get started with electronic transactions.
Personalized Claim Submission Tips
Let us review your paper claim submissions and provide tips for submitting them electronically. Send a secure email with your Tax ID number to get started.
Claims Payer List
View our payer list to identify Payer IDs, payers accepting COB claims electronically and if smart edits apply.
EDI Training Guides
View our brief, interactive guides:
Don’t Let EDI Productivity and Savings Get Away!
EDI Transactions and Code Sets
HIPAA has national standards for health care EDI transaction and code sets. These standards support consistency in electronic exchange of data among providers, health care plans, clearinghouses, vendors and other health care business associates.
The following links provide more detailed information about each transaction type:
- 270/271: Eligibility and Benefit Inquiry and Response
- 276/277: Claim Status Inquiry and Response
- 278: Authorization and Referral Request
- 278I: Prior Authorization and Notification Inquiry
- 278N: Hospital Admission Notification
- 835: Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA)
- 837D: Dental Claim
- 837I: Institutional Claim
- 837P: Professional Claim or Vision Claim (uses 837P)