Use the Eligibility and Benefit Inquiry (270) transaction to inquire about the health care eligibility and benefits associated with a subscriber or dependent.
The Eligibility and Benefit Response (271) transaction is used to respond to a request inquiry about the health care eligibility and benefits associated with a subscriber or dependent.
You can obtain detailed benefit information including member ID number, date of coverage, copayment, year-to-date deductible amount, and commercial coordination of benefit (COB) information when applicable.
Physicians and other health care professionals can perform eligibility (270/271) transactions in batch or real-time mode, based on your connectivity method.
Electronic eligibility verification may result in the following benefits:
- Reduced collection and billing costs
- Decreased bad debt
- Improved cash flow
- Increased productivity and efficiency
- Fewer rejected claims
- Less time spent on manual, administrative tasks
- Expedited reimbursement
- Available to participating and non-participating health care professionals
Contact your software vendor or clearinghouse. If available, eligibility transactions may be integrated into your Practice Management System or Hospital Information System. This allows systems to automatically generate an inquiry and/or to enable automatic posting of the benefit information to patient accounts.
Many vendors and clearinghouses also offer multi-payer, web-based batch or real-time eligibility solutions.
- Eligibility and Benefit EDI 270/271 Transactions: Change for Non-Embedded CDH Plans
- Overcoming Barriers with 270/271 Eligibility and Benefits Transactions
- Preventive Care Opportunity Information Included in EDI Responses for UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- Request More Services Codes and Get Physicial Therapy/Specialist Benefits with Eligibility and Benefit EDI Transactions (270/271)
- Spending Valuable Time Calling for Member Eligibility and Benefits?