Ths following commercial health plans are offered in Minnesota. Click the "+" sign to view more information on each.
The UnitedHealthcare Choice and Choice Plus health plans allow members to choose a physician or specialist from the UnitedHealthcare Choice networks but do not need a referral to receive benefits.
- UnitedHealthcare Choice members must receive care from network care providers for benefits to be covered. There is out-of-network coverage for emergency services only.
- UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus members are covered at a lower benefit level for services provided by out-of-network care providers.
Preventive care, including immunizations and preventive exams and health screenings, is covered at 100 percent in our UnitedHealthcare Choice and UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus networks.
UnitedHealthcare Choice Advanced health plans allow members to choose a physician or specialist in the UnitedHealthcare Choice networks and do not need a primary care physician or referral to receive benefits. There is out-of-network coverage for emergency services only.
- UnitedHealthcare Choice Advanced members must receive care from network care providers for benefits to be covered. Members are encouraged to choose lower cost, freestanding network health care facilities rather than hospitals for radiology services and outpatient surgery.
- UnitedHealthcare Choice Advanced Plus members are encouraged to seek care from the network care providers but don’t need a referral to receive benefits; members are covered for out-of-network care provider visits at a lower benefit level.
UnitedHealthcare Choice Advanced members have lower copays and/or greater coinsurance when they use UnitedHealth Premium® Tier 1 2-star care providers.
UnitedHealthcare Choice Advanced and UnitedHealthcare Choice Advanced Plus build on Choice and Choice Plus plans with additional features for both members and employers.
UnitedHealthcare Options PPO health plans allow members to choose a network physician or specialist without a referral (open-access).
- It is the member's responsibility to obtain prior approvals for both network and non-network services. No referral is required to see a specialist.
- If a non-network physician is chosen, out-of-pocket member costs will be higher and it is the member’s responsibility to obtain approvals and submit claims.
UnitedHealthcare Options PPO offers two levels of coverage: a higher level of benefits for in-network services, and a lower level of benefits for non-network services, with somewhat higher deductibles and coinsurance.