Use Our Online Tools Instead
We’re always looking for ways to make it easier to do business with us.
As part of this effort, we’re retiring certain fax numbers for medical prior authorization requests and asking you to use the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link – the same website you already use to check eligibility and benefits, manage claims, and update your demographic information.
Retiring Fax Numbers
These fax numbers will retire on May 6, 2019:
- Delaware UnitedHealthcare Dual Complete Special Needs Plans: 877-877-8230
- Georgia Department of Community Health: 844-624-5690
- Mid-Atlantic Health Plans: 800-729-0616
- Mid-Atlantic Health Plans: 800-787-5325
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of Florida: 866-607-5975
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of Missouri: 844-881-4772
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of New Jersey: 888-840-9284
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of Ohio: 866-839-6454
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of Tennessee: 800-743-6829
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of Virginia: 844-882-7133
Seema Verma, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Administrator, spoke about the need to eliminate faxes at the 2018 Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT Interoperability Forum. In her keynote address, Ms. Verma said, "If I could challenge the developers in this room here today to achieve one mission, it would be this: help us make every doctor’s office in America a fax free zone by 2020!"
More numbers will be retired over the next several months. We’ll list these numbers in the Network Bulletin and on this page. Please be sure to check back for the latest information.
We’ll continue to provide fax numbers for medical prior authorization requests for the following states and types of health benefit plans:
- Arizona (Medicaid plans only)
- California (Medicaid plans only)
- Louisiana (Medicaid plans only)
- Massachusetts (Commercial and Medicaid plans only)
- Michigan (Medicaid plans only)
- Mississippi (Medicaid plans only)
- Nevada (Commercial plans only)
- New York (Medicaid plans only)
- Pennsylvania (Medicaid plans only)
- Texas (Commercial and Medicaid plans only)
Care providers can use the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link for these members, but a fax number will also be available.
If we ask you for more information about a prior authorization request, you can attach it directly to the case using the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link. If you can’t access Link, you can use the fax number included on the request for more information.
Some of the retiring fax numbers are also used for Inpatient Admission Notifications. While we encourage you to use the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link to notify us when a member has been hospitalized or admitted to your facility, we have new fax numbers you can use for Inpatient Admission Notification.
- UnitedHealthcare Commercial Plans: 844-831-5077
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage and Medicare Special Needs Plans: 844-211-2369
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plans in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Washington and Wisconsin: 844-268-0565
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plans in Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia: 844-805-7522
Please do not use these fax numbers for prior authorization requests.
Online: Instead of faxing your request, please use the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link ‒ the same website you already use to check eligibility and benefits, manage claims and update your demographic information. You can access the tool and review resources to help you get started at UHCprovider.com/paan.
Phone: If you’re unable to use the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link you can continue to call Provider Services at 877-842-3210 to submit a request by phone.
Learn More About the Prior Authorization and Notification Tool on Link
You can access the tool by clicking on the Link button in the top right corner of this screen and signing in.
Are you new to Link? Click on the New User icon or Register as a New User.
Benefits and Features of Online Prior Authorization
With the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link, you can check if prior authorization or notification is required, submit your request and check status ‒ all in one place. Use it to:
- Submit a new prior authorization request or inpatient admission notification.
- Get a reference number for each submission, even when prior authorization or notification isn’t required.
- Add frequently selected care providers and procedures to your favorites list for quick submissions.
- View medical records requirements for common services, and add an attachment to a new or existing submission.
- Update and existing request with attachments, add clinical notes or make changes to case information.
You’ll be redirected to a different site for radiology, cardiology and oncology services.
Prior Authorization and Notification Tool Training
- Prior Authorization and Notification Submission (Read Transcript)
- Prior Authorization and Notification Inquiry (Read Transcript)
- Prior Authorization and Notification Status (Read Transcript)
Insurance coverage provided by or through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, All Savers Insurance Company, Oxford Health Insurance, Inc. or their affiliates. Health Plan coverage provided by UnitedHealthcare of Arizona, Inc., UHC of California DBA UnitedHealthcare of California, UnitedHealthcare Benefits Plan of California, UnitedHealthcare of Colorado, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Oklahoma, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Oregon, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Texas, LLC, UnitedHealthcare Benefits of Texas, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of Utah, Inc. and UnitedHealthcare of Washington, Inc., Oxford Health Plans (NJ), Inc. and Oxford Health Plans (CT), Inc. or other affiliates. Administrative services provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc., OptumRx, OptumHealth Care Solutions, LLC, Oxford Health Plans LLC or their affiliates. Behavioral health products are provided by U.S. Behavioral Health Plan, California (USBHPC), United Behavioral Health (UBH) or its affiliates.