For a patient with cancer, one of the most important relationships they have is with you, their care provider. The UnitedHealthcare Cancer Support Program aims to support this key relationship with individualized, coaching and education for both adult and pediatric patients diagnosed with cancer.
The program focuses on supporting cancer patients who may be at high risk for complications and side effects associated with their cancer or treatment and would benefit from the support of our experienced, specialized cancer nurses.
- Support and reinforce patient adherence to your treatment plan.
- Provide information to encourage patients' active participation in their care.
- Help reduce complications related to the cancer diagnosis and treatments through targeted and timely interventions.
- Enable patients to communicate changes in health status to you before symptoms escalate.
- Help patients understand when and how to take their medications and provide self-care.
- Increase awareness and informed choices about hospice and palliative care toward the end of life.
- Help coordinate care and benefit issues.
The Role of the Cancer Support Nurse
UnitedHealthcare specialized cancer nurses can:
- Support and reinforce your treatment plan, emphasizing symptom management.
- Collaborate with you to fill gaps in education and support.
- Work with members and their caregivers to support their clinical and psychosocial needs in collaboration with program social workers and other resources.
Members who meet all of the following criteria are eligible for the program:
- Benefit plan that includes the Cancer Support Program
- Cancer diagnosis
- Active cancer treatment or end-stage management
This particular program may not be available in all health plans.
To refer eligible UnitedHealthcare members to the program, please complete the patient referral form and fax it to 855-250-2102. We’ll send you a confirmation and referral status within two business days. You may designate a nurse or other clinician as a primary contact.
- Referral form coming soon
If you would like to learn more about the program, please call us at 866-936-6002.